One thing that many people don’t know is that an issue with their thyroid can also cause problems with their eyes. Eye doctors in Miami often see thyroid patients who are suffering from an optical condition known as Graves’ eye disease, which is also called thyroid eye disease. The thyroid is a gland located in the front of the neck and is responsible for excreting chemicals that play a role in body metabolism. However, when it is not functioning properly, it can result in vision problems. Graves’ eye disease is an autoimmune disease that can attack connective tissues within the eye socket and also the muscles connected to the eyes. Those who have been diagnosed with a thyroid issue need to be sure to let their eye doctor in Miami Beach know about it.
If people who are diagnosed with thyroid problems are aware of the symptoms associated with Graves’ eye disease, then they can look out for these issues and make an appointment with their Miami eye doctor as soon as they notice them.
● Swollen eyelids or tissues around the eye are a common symptom of Graves’ eye disease.
● Retraction of the eyelids is another common symptom of this condition.
● A feeling of grit on the eyes, or dry eyes, are also common symptoms.
● Double vision, vision loss, and light sensitivity can also be strong indicators that a thyroid patient is developing Grave’s eye disease.
● A constant watering and redness in the eyes is another symptom to be on the lookout for.
Those who have been diagnosed with this condition may be wondering what can be done to treat it. It’s a common assumption by people who have been diagnosed with this disease that they will eventually need eyeglasses in Miami Beach, but this is not necessarily true. The treatment for this condition often involves two phases: treating the active eye disease and then remission treatments, which often last for the rest of a patient’s life. Sometimes radiation is used to treat this condition, but that’s only in cases where patients don’t respond to prednisone. People who are being seen by their eye doctor regularly can usually catch this condition before it causes too much damage and treat it effectively.