Some curious patients like to ask their Miami eye doctor about the visual processing center in the brain because they are interested in how vision works. The way the human eye observes something and processes the information is complex, and doctors are still learning more about it today. However, there are many things already known about the visual processing center– it is known as the occipital lobe. When someone looks at an object, the information is sent to the brain along the optic nerves, which are connected to the eyeballs, and then processed in the brain. While eye doctors in Miami are trained to deal with the physical eyeball and problems with vision, they still know plenty of useful information about the visual processing center.
The occipital lobe is a part in the back of the brain that’s sole responsibility is to process various types of visual information. An eye doctor in Miami Beach will be able to elaborate more on what each part of the occipital lobe does to those who are interested.
● The occipital lobe is located in the back of the brain, and it’s present on both hemispheres of the brain.
● Damage to one side of someone’s occipital lobe can have serious repercussions on their ability to see correctly.
● The occipital lobe has four known regions, all of which are responsible for processing different types of visual information.
● The optic nerve connection to the occipital lobe is extremely complex, and it’s the reason doctors are unable to do a complete eye transplant today.
● Lesions in the occipital lobe can cause people to have hallucinations.
Some people think that the reason they have to wear eyeglasses in Miami Beach is because of a problem in their visual processing center, but this is not what causes visual impairments. The reason people have to wear contacts and glasses is because their cornea, or outermost layer of the eye, is not shaped normally. This causes light to bend and land either too far in front of or behind the retina. When this happens, someone will be either near or farsighted and will need prescription eyewear to be able to see normally. Getting prescription eyewear is simple and easy to do, and it will drastically reduce the amount of stress a patient is putting on their eyes.
photo credit: Purr-Fection via photopin (license)