Lasik eye surgery is an advanced procedure doctors are using to correct a patient’s vision problems such as nearsightedness or farsightedness. It can be beneficial for those who are not comfortable wearing contacts or don’t want to keep track of a pair of glasses, but this shouldn’t be the sole reason. There are some things that patients need to be aware of regarding this procedure. While it can correct some levels of astigmatism, there are currently no lasers approved to correct those that are greater than 6 D. Consulting with your doctor in Miami Beach will give you a better idea of whether you are eligible for this procedure or not.
People who are thinking about having this surgery need to be aware of its limitations and have a realistic idea of what to expect. While some patients experience 20/20 vision after the procedure, some experience vision that’s not perfect, but is still better than what it was before the operation. This is what your Miami Beach eye doctor is going to discuss with you:
● Lasik is not able to correct severe astigmatism problems.
● It is only eligible for people who have no eye diseases or problems that could cause complications during the operation.
● Your vision has to be stable enough for the surgery. This means that your prescription has not changed over the past two years.
● You must be able to stare at a single point for more than two minutes while the procedure is taking place. People who cannot do this may end up causing damage to other portions of their eye. You must also be able to remain completely still.
● You will have to quit wearing your contacts for several weeks before an operation because they change the shape of your cornea.
While the aforementioned points are just some of the main things that your Miami optometrist is going to discuss with you about the lasik surgery, there are many other things that are taken into consideration as well. If your level of near or farsightedness is severe, you will need to discuss this with your doctor to see if the results will even be something you are happy with afterwards. There have been cases where a patient had Lasik eye surgery and still had to wear glasses later. Some patients aren’t enthusiastic about the surgery when they hear this, so they simply continue wearing their eyeglasses in Miami Beach. Be sure to discuss all of your concerns with your eye doctor and answer their questions honestly so you can determine if Lasik is right for you.