Many people ask their eye doctor in Miami about the optic nerves and what they actually do. The optic nerves are actually one of the most important parts of the eye and how it functions; they are responsible for transmitting electrical impulses from the retina to the part of the brain that interprets them as images. When they become damaged or strained, people can experience all sorts of vision problems and even blindness in some cases. Glaucoma is one of the most common conditions seen by Miami eye doctors which affects the optic nerves. Once this part of the eye becomes damaged, it’s close to impossible to restore vision problems related to the optic nerves.
The optic nerves are located in the back of the eyeballs and are what connect them to the brain. The nerves, along with muscles in the eye, keep it securely held in the socket where it’s supposed to be and to keep the eye in place. Here are some facts you may hear if you ask your doctor in Miami Beach about your optic nerves:
● The optic nerves are also known as “second cranial nerves”.
● The optic nerves are comprised of ganglionic cells, which consist of over one million nerve fibers.
● The optic nerves are technically considered part of the central nervous system, even though they are connected to the eyes.
● The complexity of the optical nerves is why doctors have not been able to successfully complete a complete eye transplant.
● Where the optical nerves connect to retina actually creates a natural blind spot in both eyes; however, overlapping images from each eye make it seem as if there is no blind spot at all.
If you think that you may have problems with your optic nerves, then you need to speak with your eye doctor right away. A problem with the optic nerves could indicate glaucoma or another condition that needs to be addressed immediately. Excess pressure, pain and strain, and other factors may indicate an issue with the optic nerves. It’s best to have these problems addressed as soon as possible because damage to the optic nerves cannot be undone. However, there are things that can be done to resolve your condition which is affecting your optic nerves, reducing the amount of overall damage that gets done to them. Some people may only need eyeglasses in Miami Beach to allow their eyes to work without strain, reducing the damage done to the optic nerves.