One of the main reasons people visit their eye doctor in Miami Beach is because they are worried about going blind. Many people would consider sight to be their most valuable sense, but some people lose their vision because they didn’t care for their eyes properly or let a problem go undetected for too long because they neglected their eye exams. There are many things about being blind that most people don’t know, though. In fact, many people think that being legally blind means that the person can see nothing at all, when this is not true. If you ask your Miami Beach eye doctor, you will find out that only about 10-15 percent of people who are considered legally blind are unable to distinguish anything at all.
It’s no secret that living with a visual impairment is difficult. Some people feel restricted to certain areas because they don’t want to venture into unfamiliar territory. However, with the help of an eye doctor in Miami, people can live a normal lifestyle. Here are some things about blindness that most people don’t know:
● Less than 2% of people who are visually impaired use the white cane. The vast majority of blind people use dogs to aid them or nothing at all.
● Most causes of blindness are treatable/preventable. For example, cataracts is the leading cause of blindness in those over 50, but it’s easily cured with a minor operation.
● Blind people experience more nightmares than people with normal sight, and they are dominated by smells, sounds, and tastes.
● Most blind people experience a problem with their circadian rhythm, which is a normal sleep schedule. Somewhere around 70% of people who are visually impaired tend to sleep during the day and are awake at night.
● Blind people who are married have a much lower divorce rate than normally sighted people.
If you are concerned about losing your sight or becoming visually impaired, then you need to be sure that you’re visiting your optometrist in Miami Beach as often as they recommend you to come in. This is especially true if you have a family history of glaucoma or other conditions that can affect your sight. You can take vitamins and nutrients, exercise your eyes, and do many other things to ensure your eyes are in good shape, but nothing is better than being examined by a medical professional. They will be able to spot anything that’s amiss in your eyes and treat the problem before it becomes a serious concern.